To understand better, what are the current emails you need to work on.
When you can see new e-mails in your box, you can define what it is a category
- Category 1: important and need to answer
- Category 2: important and need to keep [bills, copy of books, promo code, etc]
- Category 3: not important and need to answer in some time
- Category 4: not important and do not need to answer
Depending on each category you will need to do the next concrete action
- For Category 1: if the answer will take less than 2 minutes, just answer and if you do not need to await a response, archive the mail. If the answer will take a significant amount of time, then you need to keep it unread and add a task to your to-do list to answer ASAP.
- For Category 2: for emails that are needed for history, you need to move them in separate folders/categories with meaningful names. Use filters to move them automatically.
- For Category 3: if you can delegate this mail, just do it. Otherwise, you need to create one more task in your to-do list but probably with a lower priority than for Category 1.
- For Category 4: archive it immediately and if you have such emails on regular basis, create a filter to archive them automatically